Tuesday, April 30, 2013

NotD: Sunset Butterfly

I asked my partner what colour I should paint my nails and got a ridiculously specific nail art request instead! "Orange with a yellow stripe and red butterflies!"

Way to make it easy, babe...

My main issue with his request is that I don't own a good yellow polish. Admittedly I haven't made it a priority, but the 3-4 yellows I've purchased have either gone onto better homes or been left languishing at the back of my polish cupboard because they're too damn sheer or don't work with my skintone or BOTH!

This is probably one of the most time-consuming manicures I've ever done since it involved striping tape, a horribly sheer base colour and then stamping on top of that - every layer had to be perfectly dry before the next step was attempted and the fact I started with a lacquer that required three coats just made this a nightmare. The end result was pretty darn good, even if I do say so myself.

The butterflies are extremely vibrant in person, I've no idea why they photographed so faded :(


If anyone could recommend a good, opaque yellow polish, I'm all ears! The mani looked awesome even without the butterflies. I'd definitely like to give yellow stripes another go, but not if I have to do three coats of base colour x.x

Products used:
China Glaze Sunshine Pop (streaky, runny, awful formula, not a polish I would recommend even if I was able to recommend the brand)
Mode Cosmetics Frenemy
Illamasqua Throb
Plate m41
Striping tape from eBay??


2 comments:

  1. Love this! The colours look awesome together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this design. :) you made a nice combo of colors!

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE don't leave your blog URL in your comment unless you're linking to a relevant post. Thanks!