Monday, August 1, 2011

Review: Venomous Cosmetics

To be honest, I was a little apprehensive about ordering from Venomous… but only because I hadn’t read a lot of critical reviews about them. I know that doesn’t sound like a terrible thing, but I like to really know what I’m getting into.

My order was quite small – I got the everywhere palette and two pressed shadows. It ended up getting shipped a little later than anticipated, and so make up for it, Tracy gave me a bunch of loose shadows – some of which I definitely would have ordered later for myself. Some of them are from the new [edit: now discontinued] fairytales collection and are SO PRETTY. She also provided me with a 20% off code for my next order, which was just SO generous of her. My trepidations were absolutely dissolved and after swatching, felt absurd.

The two pressed shadows I ordered were Death Adder and Meteor. Both are pretty much for work.
My free samples: Faraway Galaxy, Spell-Breaking Kiss, L.A. Smog, Boomslang, In Orbit, and Enchanted Forest.

The pressed shadows are quite hard, I can see them standing up to a heckuvalot of abuse... but it also means they're a little tricky to use. You really have to work the brush into them to get any product.

Spell-breaking kiss
Violet-purple with red and blue glitter

Far-away galaxy
Lavender with aqua glitter

L.A. Smog
Medium grey with an icy blue sheen

In Orbit
Taupe with a silver sheen and a smattering of pink glitter

Boomslang
Bright, blue-based green

Enchanted forest
Blue-green shimmer on a black base

Meteor
Taupe with a stunning, metallic rose-gold sheen (almost duochrome!)

Death Adder
copper-gold shift


I haven't had much of an opportunity to play with the non-neutral shades but they're SO lovely, I have actually already placed another order for some more pressed shadows, the pressed blushes from the My Fairytale collection and one of the much-hyped Lip Poisons. Tracy's just put up a new collection with some really awesome speckled shadows. If you haven't ordered from Venomous yet, definitely go check out their site!

One more thing I have to mention is the Anywhere Palette.


It's slightly smaller than the Sugarpill palettes, but it's the same concept - sturdy, matte black cardboard, strong magnetised close, magnetised base and instead of a mirror, has a clear plastic top so you can see what you've got in there. I LOVE IT and I'm going to get another one, so I have one for neutrals and one for brights :) they're also incredibly affordable at $5.50 US.

7 comments:

  1. oh my those are some seriously gorgeous colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and i wanted to add that i know what you mean about seeing only positive reviews. i bought some sigma brushes after seeing only positive reviews and was pretty damn disappointed by them. but i know better now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. FUUU Jade, you have made me want every single thing in this post >< ><. Holy crap, In Orbit is amazing and so is Enchanted Forest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In Orbit and Enchanted Forest look gorgeous! I love the Venomous Cosmetics stuff I just got :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG Far-away Galaxy and Enchanted Forest <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just got a shipping notification for my next order :D wheeeeeee!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, I'd love to try some stuff from VC!!!

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE don't leave your blog URL in your comment unless you're linking to a relevant post. Thanks!