Thursday, December 30, 2010

Review: Miki Lip and Eye Palette

This was given to me for Christmas, by my parents.

It's very cute, if a little tweeny. I haven't tried this brand before, so I thought I'd give it a proper shot and review it at the same time. I wasn't able to find out a lot about them online. Their website is 'coming soon' and they do have a Facebook page.

It contains three lip glosses:


It has three eyeshadows as well:



There are also two mini applicators, one for lips and one for eyes. As you can expect they're both pretty crap.

None of the shadows or glosses are named or labelled, except for the back, which has the ingredients and the name of the palette:

Um, ok.

Lip swatches; upper left-hand gloss (darkest), followed by middle, followed by the big (pale) one at the bottom centre.


These are definitely glosses - not very pigmented, heavy on the shimmer, kind of goopy. Formula-wise, I have to say these aren't actually that bad. They're not too sticky or runny. Don't have a lot of staying power. I honestly can't imagine myself using these a lot, though - I'm either a lipstick or a balm girl, and I don't do a pink-y lip too often. You can see a fair bit of a difference to the glosses in person, but not enough (to me) to justify having all three on the same palette.

I didn't wear them for very long so I can't comment on the moisurisation factor. They contain lanolin (as well as beeswax and silica) so I can imagine they'd be alright for the short amount of time glosses tend to last.

Shadow swatches:
Rather disappointing pigmentation, but they do perk up a little with a good base - Concrete Minerals Electric eye primer and Nyx Jumbo Eye Pencil in Milk.


This is them without a base - pretty weak, ashy and patchy.

I was going to do a wear test with these shadows, over the CM primer and Nyx Pencil, to see how they held up, but...

(Bare eyelash alert!) This is a TON of product, patted furiously with several different brushes for about ten minutes. I just could NOT get the shadows to show up, and blending just wiped them out. That's the mauve as a highlight, since it didn't show up at all on the lid and the grey-silver-green shadow was too shimmery and chunky for a highlight. The closed-eye shots seriously looked like I wasn't wearing any shadow, just that there was some funky lighting going on. I didn't think there was any point doing a wear test when the freshly applied shadows looked like they'd been on for about eight hours over a crappy primer.

Now I just have to figure out how to dispose of this failure of a palette without my parents noticing...

5 comments:

  1. Aw, how disappointing. It's the thought that counts, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed! I still have my Sleek palettes to console me anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwh man, I remember my parents used to buy me the lip gloss ones as a kid XD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww this takes me back ... I had a palette like this (think it had 5 eyeshadows and 5 lip glosses, and came in a CD case) when I was ... oh, I don't know, 13 or so? I rather liked it, I think because it had a silver glittery eyeshadow that I really liked at the time. Fun to mess about with as a tween, but not something I'd buy today!

    (psst - signing in as eudoxiafriday rather than Jingle Bella now - but it's still me ...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to admit I never really 'got into' palettes before Sleek!... I guess I just don't feel it's really worth it if I know I'm not going to use half the products in there. I wasn't a make-up-y tween, too busy reading all the time, haha!

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE don't leave your blog URL in your comment unless you're linking to a relevant post. Thanks!