Friday, April 9, 2010

This started as a how-to, and turned into a rant

This starts as a "How-To: wear dark lipstick" and turns into something rather different further on!

First of all, you're gonna need lipstick. It may be the traditional black, or it could be espresso, burgundy-red, grey, deep purple, or even navy blue. Exfoliating your lips helps the lippie to apply smoothly. You can buy lip scrubs from The Body Shop, or hit up some places online. Alternately, gently rub an old toothbrush or the edge of a towel over your lips. This will get rid of all the dead skin flakes. Apply lip balm, let it sink in for a minute or two – some highly pigmented lipsticks can be rather drying. Blot your lips with a tissue to remove excess balm.

Lipliner stops lipsticks from bleeding, giving you a messy mouth. Use a clear, nude, or coordinating color and carefully outline your lips. Apply the lipstick, straight from the tube, or using a lip brush for mega precision. Any mistakes can be fixed up with some makeup remover, or plain facial moisturiser on a cotton bud.

Now put on a cheeky smile and stride out that door!

I'm not giving you outfit tips, or suggestions on places and events that are 'appropriate' for dark-colored lipstick. This is because to me, my face is a canvas that I delight in using unusual colors, textures and shapes to express myself with. Of course, I don't always have the time or energy to spend hours in the morning blending and shading intricate and extravagant looks. Instead, I rely on quality products in unique shades to get that out-there, left-of-field effect.

I think that boys and men should be allowed to experiment with makeup without being ridiculed. I think that women and girls should wear blue lipstick and red eye-shadow (not necessarily together!) on the streets more often. I relish the stares that I get when I wear purple or navy lipstick out, or lime green, neon purple or sparkly yellow eye-shadow.

I don't think that make-up should be used to cover up 'flaws'. Everyone deserves to be comfortable in our own skin. Every girl and woman should be able to leave the house barefaced without feeling 'naked'. We should not be constrained by the clothing in mainstream shops and fashion magazines. We should not be defined by notions of 'beauty', 'talent' and 'success' shoved into our faces by the media.

I hope that one day it can be just nurses, not 'male nurse', police officers, not 'female policeman', and that there will be no further use for the terms sexist, misogynist and misandrist.

Just a crazy dream from a girl in royal blue lipstick.

 Until next we meet,
 Jade

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE don't leave your blog URL in your comment unless you're linking to a relevant post. Thanks!